Rexnet Subaru Forums: Diy - Gc8 - Walbro Fuel Pump Installation - Rexnet Subaru Forums

Rexnet New Tags
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diy - Gc8 - Walbro Fuel Pump Installation With pics - 56K Beware Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   efini7 

• Amateur Racer
  • Group: Forum Member
  • State:ACT
  • Car:Blk MY99 WRX LE & 04 Yamaha R1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

OK so i thought i would make a DIY for all the classic owners out there on how to install the 500hp Walbro Fuel Pump. I found my install was a little bit different due to the fact my standard pump is huge and was connected by seperate cabled terminals. I managed to do this all by myself and if i can do it, anyone can. I suggest you do this installation when the car has not been driven for a few hours and is completely cooled down and with as little fuel in the tank as possible just for safety reasons.

What you need:
- 8mm socket/ratchet or spanner
- Pliers
- Phillips head screw driver
- Patience
- Beer

The procedure:

First of all you need to open the boot, remove the carpet and locate the fuel tank cover on the RH side of the car. It is directly behind the RH rear passenger seat. I lowered the RH rear passenger seat to make it easy to get to it also. Remove the 4 screws from the panel to reveal the top of the fuel tank where the pump assembly goes.
Posted Image

You can see once i removed the lid it was filthy. So get an old paint brush or similar and clean this crap off, you dont want this sh*t going inside your fuel tank. Once done should look schmick!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ok so now we want to unplug the white connector from the assembly and start the car up. Once the car stalls then you know you wont have any fuel pressure left in the lines.
Posted Image

So now we know we are safe from fuel spray and leaks. (it will leak a little bit when you take the fuel lines off but no where as much if you didnt run the lines dry). Remove the two fuel hoses that are to the left. I used pliers to pull the hose clamps away then easiest way i found to get the hoses off was to twist them side to side and away from the nipple. They came off easy using pliers with this motion.
Posted Image

Next up have to remove the fuel pressure line. This has a plastic clip on it and is located on the north side. To remove this you need to press on the little white tabs on either side then push the black plastic connector off it. This is not difficult and you shouldnt have to force it. The white plastic tab part will be left on the nipple.
Posted Image

Now use the 8mm socket to remove the 8 nuts holding the pump assembly to the tank. At the end of their threads undo them with your fingers, you dont want to lose the nuts down the edges cause you might never get them back
Posted Image

OK so now you want to drink some beer cause it gets frustrating from here because i dunno bout you but i dont fit in the boot of the car to well. Once you have drunk beer, it is time to pull the assembly out of the tank. To do this you need to move all the hoses you previously took off out the sides. Lift the assembly up and rotate it as it comes up. I rotated clock wise. You will feel sh*t hitting the sides etc as you bring it out. Its very fiddly. Be careful not to bend the floater wire and dont force it out, just take your time rotating as it comes out. Once its out place it on the bench and look inside the fuel tank.. Whoa funky!!
Posted Image

Look at the pump assembly. Its friggin ugly!
Posted Image

Unplug the connectors from the red circle marked here.
Posted Image

Then unscrew the two terminals to the standard pump using a 7mm socket/spanner and a phillips head screw driver. You want to piss these off and the black suppressor as well, you wont be needing this. The suppressor we will take off after we get the standard pump off.
Posted Image

Now to remove the standard pump. I took the top most hose clamp off and then twisted the pump upwards to give me enough room to lift it up and out of its rubber seat at the bottom of the pump assembly. Once it is up and out, twist and pull it back down to remove the pump, the small fuel hose will stay connected to it.
Posted Image

Here is a pic of the strandard pump next to the walbro
Posted Image

Now you need to remove the black suppressor by unscrewing the screw that holds it to the assembly with phillips head screw driver. Hopefully here you wont have as much drama as i did. Even after putting WD40 on this screw, it would not come off and i threaded it. A lot of colourful language followed and then i had no choice but to drill the screw out.
Posted Image

Now in your walbro fit kit you should have the following; short fuel hose, two hose clamps, small washer, cable harness, rubber seat for pump, new fuel sock. I didnt use the new fuel sock because it is smaller then the standard one and ive read somewhere that if you use this, it can create fuel surge when you have less then 1/3 tank because it doesnt suck from the bottom of the tank.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Remove the small holding washer from the standard fuel sock so that it may be removed from the standard fuel pump. Once you have removed it, connect it to the walbro pump and secure it using the new holding washer that came in you fitting kit.
Posted Image

Place the new rubber seat that came with your fitting kit on the walbro pump. Make sure it is placed on there nice and firm.
Posted Image

Now get the new fuel hose and both the hose clamps and put the hose where the original one used to go and push it up as far as possible to give you enough room to put the walbro on the assembly and reconnect the fuel hose to the walbro pump nozzle. You can cut this fuel pump down to size if you wish but i just put the whole thing on there.
Posted Image

Make sure the pump is seated nicely in its rubber seat and is placed into the lower bracket of the pump assembly. Once everything is in place, tighten the hose clamps with screw driver and connect the cable harness to the walbro and to the connection at the top of the assembly. Use the cable coiled wrap from the old cables and put them on the new cable harness. Now you have a completed walbro fuel pump assembly.
Posted Image

Now have another swig of you beer and prepare to install the assembly back into the car. To do this it is a reverse of how you took it out. Rotate it as it goes back in, make sure the rubber gasket is not pinched when you tighten the bolts back up. You want it to be a perfect seal.

Also do NOT over tighten the nuts as aparantly they can snap off real easy.

Connect all the hoses back up.

At this stage, i left the lid off and went for a drive to check there was no leaks. The pump sounds loud when you prime it, i like!

Drive the car and everything is all good. Put the lid back on, put your carpet in.

Pat yourself on the back and have a few canadian club bourbons like i am now :P

View PostFlippin Tricks, on Oct 25 2007, 01:31 PM, said:

I don't understand actually worrying about the Ks, If you want to go somewhere or need to go somewhere drive ya bloody car!

It would be like having a Hot Chick for a girlfriend and not wanting to give here a thrashing just so she stays tight and intact for the next guy - See makes no sense!
Rexnet New Tags

Thanked by 1 Member:
nixtaz 

#2 User is offline   14WRC 

• Amateur Racer
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Wrx my99

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

Nice job on the diy mate, i disconnect the battery for safety and just let it sit over night instead of starting it when i done mine .Also be careful removing the pump from the bracket it can be very stiff i have a scar on my hand to prove it
14WRC 194.6kw atw @1.2bar
VF 34 Turbo, 550 injectors, Uni Chip, Hybrid fmic, Apexi Avcr, Walbro pump , Custom TBE 3'' into 2.5'',
Custom Catchcan, Dba 5000 rotors, Ds2500 pads, Sti strut brace, king lows, 06 rex rims

#3 User is offline   efini7 

• Amateur Racer
  • Car:Blk MY99 WRX LE & 04 Yamaha R1

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

14WRC, on Dec 2 2007, 10:27 AM, said:

Nice job on the diy mate, i disconnect the battery for safety and just let it sit over night instead of starting it when i done mine .Also be careful removing the pump from the bracket it can be very stiff i have a scar on my hand to prove it

thanks mate, i didnt want to disconnect the battery in case my brant started playing up

View PostFlippin Tricks, on Oct 25 2007, 01:31 PM, said:

I don't understand actually worrying about the Ks, If you want to go somewhere or need to go somewhere drive ya bloody car!

It would be like having a Hot Chick for a girlfriend and not wanting to give here a thrashing just so she stays tight and intact for the next guy - See makes no sense!

#4 User is offline   rOb_bOgs 

• Champion Racer
  • State:NSW
  • Car:MY99 WRX CS3

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Great write-up champ!

GC8 Club Spec Evo 3 - 290kw atw

#5 User is offline   boostjuice 

• Amateur Racer
  • Car:MY97

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:24 PM

Best fuel pump DIY ive EVER seen. That includes NASOIC, Scoobymods, WRXnet etc etc.

Take a bow ;)

Its about time i got my ass into gear and take some pics of my homemade STi anti fuel surge replica.

#6 User is offline   larrikinstreak 

• Amateur Racer
  • State:NSW
  • Car:Colorado LT-R

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:17 AM

Very nice DIY ! :)
"There is beauty in simplicity, maintain a simple mind"

#7 User is offline   Dali78 

• Amateur Racer
  • Car:1999WRX

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

just noticed your sock is not on straight like the standard one or the walbro ,have you had any probs ? i put mine on straight and used cable tie to hold it on it was very secure in the end
14WRC

Mods, Ive got blah! blah! blah! blah! blah! mines bigger than yours

#8 User is offline   evil 

• Riceboy

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

anyone know what the supressor does and why its not needed with the walbro?

#9 User is offline   JetGc8 

• Pro Racer
  • State:Victoria
  • Car:My00

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

evil, on Apr 15 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

anyone know what the supressor does and why its not needed with the walbro?

Its basically just a big capacitor, my best guess, it 'pre primes' the car when the car is shut off... it may continue to pump for a second or two.
VF34 @1.5bar - E85 - STI 6 SPEED - POWER FC FC-DATALOGIT - BREMBOS- DIY TUNE
Successful Trades with: rOb_bOgs, Jay00, Reber, Davo, Markmcrs, Black Dahlia Murder, kemsta, alexxx, Aydin, OpticalNZ, WRXTC

#10 User is offline   binny 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator2
  • Car:Twin Scroll :-P

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

boostjuice, on Dec 2 2007, 10:24 PM, said:

Best fuel pump DIY ive EVER seen. That includes NASOIC, Scoobymods, WRXnet etc etc.

Take a bow :lol:

Its about time i got my ass into gear and take some pics of my homemade STi anti fuel surge replica.

yes please show us the pics !

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Rexnet New Tags